RE: notes from developer's portion of IETF meeting

Thank you Hugo, Dan, and Hilarie for stating clearly why the group at the IETF chose
to make integrity mandatory.   Btw, Dan, I think you're correct in stating why we are still
having this discussion and where it came from in the first place..

At any rate, if MAC is optional for ESP, I think you'll be seeing a lot of implementations
that don't allow the negotiation of a MACless ESP, or force policy to include a MAC algorithm
with any ESP policy... %)

As for optional encryption...  I still think, if you don't want encryption you should use AH.
I don't really buy the argument that processing the headers takes that more processing time.
Table 18.2 in Applied Cryptography, Second Edition, says that MD5 will do 174 Mbytes a second
on a 33MHz 486SX...  so that means that your average 1500 byte packet, assuming 1/3 is
headers (being very conservative) would...  oh well, you can do the math... Looks like it doesn't
add a noticable overhead per packet to me... And probably over the course of the exchange will
get lost in the noise...

So, can we agree?

Optional integrity for ESP?  No.?  yes...?   I'd say no.
Optional confidentiality for ESP?   I'd also say no.

How 'bout other people?

-Rob