RE: notes from developer's portion of IETF meeting

Rob,

	Another message addresses the question of whether ESP w/o crypto
authentication is meaningful, so I'll just comment on ESP w/o encryption.
The issue I have raised is not so much the raw speed of the algorithm, but
rather the overhead of data manipulation related to the fields in the IP
header that have to be copied and those that have to be zeroed and the
logic to make sure we treat each one appropriately.

	AH is a somewhat awkward protocol because it reaches forward in the
protocol stream, in a selective fashion, unlike ESP which is a traditional
encapsulation protocol and "cleaner."  But, AH can be appropriate in some
circumstances, as I have cited in previous messages.  However, some of the
examples cited for AH vs. encryptionless ESP are not good ones.  For
example, if we have a tunnel-mode SA between two IPSEC sites, the outer IP
header doesn't seem to require protection and thus ESP-based authentication
would be just fine.

So, no, it's not settled yet ...

Steve