Re: PMTU/DF issues

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Karen Seo wrote:

> Appendix X -- Analysis/Discussion of PMTU/DF/Fragmentation Issues

>    Overall, the fragmentation/reassembly approach described above works
>    for all cases examined.
>
>    The results for each of the 24 cases is shown below ("works" = will
>    work if system fragments after outbound IPSEC processing, reassembles
>    before inbound IPSEC processing).  Notes indicate implementation
>    issues.
>
>         b. Hosts (Bump-in-the-stack) -- put IPSEC between IP layer and
>            network drivers.  In this case, the IPSEC module would have to
>            do something like one of the following for fragmentation and
>            reassembly.
>                 - do the fragmentation/reassembly work itself and
>                   send/receive the packet directly to/from the network
>                   layer.  In AH or ESP transport mode, this is fine.  In
> 		  AH or ESP tunnel mode where the tunnel is to the
> 		  ultimate destination, this is fine.  But in AH or ESP
> 		  tunnel modes where the tunnel end is different from
> 		  the ultimate destination and where the source host is
> 		  multi-homed, this approach could result in sub-optimal
> 		  routing because the IPSEC module may be unable to
> 		  obtain the information needed (LAN interface and
> 		  next-hop gateway) to direct the packet to the
> 		  appropriate network interface.  This is not a problem
> 		  if the interface and next-hop gateway are the same for
> 		  the ultimate destination and for the tunnel end.  But
> 		  if they are different, then IPSEC would need to know
> 		  the LAN interface and the next-hop gateway for the
> 		  tunnel end.

Seems to me that if the interface and next-hop gateway are different for
the ultimate destination and for the tunnel end, then the tunnel end is not a
security gateway.

> 3. Path MTU Discovery -- As mentioned earlier, "ICMP PMTU" refers to an
>    ICMP message used for Path MTU Discovery.
>
> A. The amount of information returned with the ICMP message is limited
>    and this affects what selectors are available to identify security
>    associations, originating hosts, etc. for use in further propagating
>    the PMTU information.
>
>    The destination security gateway and SPI uniquely define a security
>    association which in turn defines a set of possible originating
>    hosts.  At this point, SG1 could:
>    a. send the PMTU information to all the possible originating hosts.
>       This would not work well if the host list is a wild card or if
>       many/most of the hosts weren't sending to SG1; but it might work
>       if the SPI/destination/etc mapped to just one host.

Seems to me that if a host wasn't sending to SG1 then it's not an intended
recipient of this PMTU information.

Am I missing something here?

Norm

                   Norman Shulman      Secure Computing Canada
     	        Systems Developer      Tel 1 416 813 2075
                  norm@border.com      Fax 1 416 813 2001