Re: notes from developer's portion of IETF meeting

> From: ho@earth.hpc.org (Hilarie Orman)
> with the exception of very low speed lines, the performance is not
> greatly impacted by requiring integrity.  I could see having it be a
> property of the transform --- a transform designer can specify the
> null integrity algorithm if he knows that the encryption algorithm has
> built-in integrity --- but I don't find the DAP example compelling.

(sigh)  Having lived through the argument between Cisco and NetStar
over whether PPP over OC-3 (155 Mbps) needed 2 or 4 bytes of checksum
(furtunately PPP will negotiate) -- welcome to the vendor world.  People
really _do_ care about performance on any speed of line.  The argument
is compelling to the implementors.

And low speed is pretty much defined as less than T1 (1.5 Mbps) these
days.  ISDN 2B isn't cutting it anymore....

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com