Re: Questions/comments re draft-ietf-ipsec-esp-rc5-cbc-00.txt

From: Roy Pereira <rpereira@TimeStep.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:29:06 -0400

> >Regarding key material, why is the key material derived as
> >stated in section 4 rather than slice and dice?
>
> Section 4 does talk about 'slicing and dicing'.  This is inline
> with what was discussed and agreed upon in Memphis.  The
> specific algorithm would dictate how many bits of keying
> material it would require, so that ISAKMP (or any other higher
> layer) can provide it.  Then the algorithm simply slices the key
> material into sections (x bits for the cipher key, y bits for the
> authentication key).

I was unclear. I was referring to the Horowitz draft.

I went back and reread previous wg e-mail. I read the developers
decided the key management daemon will generate "enough" key
material and the AH/ESP algorithms will slice it; however, it
isn't clear to me how the key management daemon will generate
it. I must reread the other drafts.

-dpg