Re: Re[2]: ISAKMP commit and notify usage

> >This is the conclusion I came to when implementing the commit bit.
> >For phase 1 I check for exchange type, if its not Aggressive I'll signal
> >Invalid flag if the commit bit is set.  It didn't seem to make much
> >sense for Main Mode.
> >----
>
> I do not see anything in the ISAKMP spec which limits the use of the commit
> bit to the agressive mode. Granted this may have been the driving reason
> for the commit.

I witnessed the birth of the commit bit and it's driving reason was for
phase 2 exchanges (Quick Mode). Period.

> I would like to allow the general use of the commit bit by initiator or
> responder in any mode. This allows support for security policies and
> implementations (e.g. multicast) which may require ISAKMP to access another
> machine prior to allowing encrypted traffic to flow.

How (and why!) would you use this bit in a phase 1 exchange? How does
multicast change anything? Phase 1 merely establishes the ISAKMP peer-to-peer
communication channel. I don't see the point in using the commit bit there.

  Dan.