Re: ESP revisions straw poll

Hilarie Orman writes:
> > Regardless of the "platonic truth" of the
> > question of whether encryptionless ESP is good or bad, the world will
> > survive just fine without it,
>
> It's not a platonic argument, it's a practical one about high-speed
> nets, perceived utility of AH, and expected market directions.

I think you don't understand what I meant, Hillarie.

Out there, somewhere, floating in Platonic Ideals Space, is the
"Truth" with a capital T about whether encryptionless ESP is "good" or
"bad". We all make our arguments, try to convince one another, and we
come to a consensus.

Of course, we never actually reach the "Truth"*. What we get is an
approximation that is possibly very far away. However, being finite
beings, we can never actually reach the "Truth", and could spend
infinite time in a futile attempt to get there (thus never achieving
our goal of having a deployed system), so we have developed this
procedure to get as close as we can to the "Truth".

Well, we went through that process, and we hit an answer which was
that we had solid assessed consensus to drop encryptionless ESP. Some
people feel this is the wrong decision. However, we can't ever achieve
the "right" decision, only what most people think is "right". We have
certainly arrived there -- there is strong and obvious consensus.

Now, I realize that it might not be pleasant for the losers, but we
have *all* been on the losing side of one argument or another in this
process, and we just have to accept that we've lost and live with it
and move on.

This should especially be the case given that western civilization
will survive even if we made a not entirely perfect decision
here. Indeed, at worst, we will lose some bandwidth or some such.

So, given all this, can we just accept that most people think we
should drop encryptionless ESP and move on?

Perry

*By the way, it isn't even clear that there is a "Truth" --
engineering, unlike mathematics, rarely has a single right answer.

Follow-Ups: References: