Re: ESP revisions straw poll

Perry,

	I now have new appreciation for what Ran and Paul have endured as
co-chairs for this group.   In initiating this straw poll, I clear did a
bad job, e.g., by not following the lead that Ran established in the ones
that he administered.  For example, I failed to establish the duration over
whioch the poll would be conducted, and I failed to mention that private
"votes" (ones not sent to the list) would be counted, etc.  Mea culpa; I
was too informal in trying to conduct this informal poll

	So, let's assume the end of this week is the closing date, thus
having about a two-week interval for votes.  Also, private votes count too.
I criticized Ran privately for this practice in the past, and now I
understand his rationale, i.e., I have received a few votes in favor of
encryptionless ESP that were not made public because of fear of getting
pilloried on this list.  It's unfortunate that we have a deserved
reputation for such animosity on this list.

	Meanwhile, I'll try to generate a message that I thibnk captures
the major points, pro and con, over this issue, in an effort to clarify the
discussion, as I have also received some messages indicating some
confusion.  Given all of the traffic, and the length of some of the
messages, such confusion is to be expected.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: