Re: eliminate AH

At 04:24 AM 5/22/97 GMT, William Allen Simpson wrote:

>I don't want 2 different ways to authenticate.  It's too complicated.

I'd rather not have two methods as well.

>We only need one way, for all the reasons given by Steve in his earlier
>message.  If we have it in ESP, and cannot agree on when to use it and
>when not, then let's discard AH.  Simplify.

Or simply define AH as encryptionless ESP.  (e.g. the processing rules
are identical for both execpt that if you are using null-encryption
the protocol field is AH else it's ESP).  This does. however, mean that
IPv6 routing headers and hop-by-hop options can not be authenticated.
(the destination node options can be covered by placing them after the
AH/ESP; this technique should work for the Mobile IPv6 routing header
as well since it's transmitted in "final form" by the mobile host).

--
Matt Thomas                    Internet:   matt.thomas@altavista-software.com
Internet Locksmith             WWW URL:    <coming eventually>