Re: another padding question ...

Bill,

	Thanks for the note.  I'm not completely clear about the alignment
requirement in the IPv6 context, and I think previous messages on this list
suggest that the lack of clarity is widespread.  Can you cite a specific
IPv6 document that indicates the granularity at which 64-bit alignment must
be maintained?  We all understand the benefits of making the length of AH
be zero mod 8, because it affects the alignment of the subsequent payload.
However, in the ESP context, we're just talking about the position of the
Auth Data field at the end of the packet.  In some sense, it's just another
field within ESP, and not all the ESP (or AH) fields can be 8-byte aligned.

	As for the inclusion of the sequence number to force 8-byte
alignnment in ESP, you're right!  I had to go back and review the messages.
You and 1 or two other folks stated that that was intended, although I also
got 1 or more "I don't know" rersponses re my question.  So, thanks for the
reminder; I'll make sure the sequence number field is a fixed part of the
ESP format, even when authentictaion has not been elected as a service.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: