Re: another padding question ...

At 05:40 PM 5/29/97 -0400, Stephen Kent wrote:
>Bill,
>
>	Thanks for the note.  I'm not completely clear about the alignment
>requirement in the IPv6 context, and I think previous messages on this list
>suggest that the lack of clarity is widespread.  Can you cite a specific
>IPv6 document that indicates the granularity at which 64-bit alignment must
>be maintained?  We all understand the benefits of making the length of AH
>be zero mod 8, because it affects the alignment of the subsequent payload.
>However, in the ESP context, we're just talking about the position of the
>Auth Data field at the end of the packet.  In some sense, it's just another
>field within ESP, and not all the ESP (or AH) fields can be 8-byte aligned.

RFC 1883.  All IPv6 headers must be aligned on 8 byte boundaries.

What about encryption-less ESP?  It would be foolish to make the
unencrypted data unaligned since that might force a data copy.

--
Matt Thomas                    Internet:   matt.thomas@altavista-software.com
Internet Locksmith             WWW URL:    <coming eventually>

Follow-Ups: References: