IPSEC and Network Analysis

Hi,

I'm eagerly awaiting IPSEC functionality for its security
advantages but I'm a little anxious about what it will
mean in troubleshooting.

The industry continues to distribute more and more layers of
protocols, APIs, middleware, etc. Even with all the logging
and trace files available, I still locate the source
of a lot of problems by capturing and analyzing packets.

How easy will it be to turn the encryption off when
necessary for troubleshooting? Will IPSEC render all
the management and monitoring tools like RMON probes
useless?

I'd guess that this is highly implementation specific but
was curious if anyone has thought about this.

Gary Flynn
Network Analyst
James Madison University