RE: ESP revisions straw poll

Stephen,

It took awhile for me to remember the history of this.  Having worked on an earlier protocol that may have influenced some of this work, there may be some motivation to keep the IV in a separate exchange.  In our case, it was necessary to keep the IV in a separate exchange for reasons other than cryptographic algorithm or mode.  We elected to send the IV in a separate exchange to accommodate encryption of applications which are more time sensitive than dependent on reliable transport -- real-time interactive stuff.  In any case, it is desirable to ensure the IV is transferred without errors, but it is often tolerable to have bit errors in the traffic (voice and video services for example).  Therefore, it was desirable to use a difference service for transmission of the IV in comparison to the traffic.  This information may have little bearing on this work, but it was certainly relevant in our implementation.

Brian Rexroad
AT&T Information Security Center
brexroad@att.com