Re: users and connections

Steve, I cannot find a copy of ISO 7498-2 anywhere in the RFCs.
Therefore, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.  ISO 7498-2
is meaningless in the Internet context, and is not cited by our RFC.

The term "connection" in the Internet has long (more than a decade,
maybe even 2 decades) refered to a pair of ports, usually TCP ports.

The term "connection" is the same used in Bellovin's paper that is cited.

The text in RFC-1829 is about the need for integrity when combined with
some other service.  In that much we agree.  Indeed, TCP is explicitly
mentioned.

It has been privately suggested that to avoid confusion, the word
"session" could be substituted for "connection".  Has some obscure
ISO document mandated "session" for some other purpose as well?

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com