Re: A little social engineering

Perry,

> I'd say we should Recommend 3DES, though not require it, with a mind
> towards requiring it someday in the future.

I agree with you that 3DES is attractive. For me the reasons are:
1. It can hardly be worse than DES, which has 20+ years of analysis.
2. It appears to get rid of the only serious DES shortcoming: key size.
3. It is unpatented and widely available in hardware and software.

However, even having read the last two days' comments about performance,
I think we should take time to consider DESX, which also appears to have
the advantages above at single DES performance.

Richard Graveman | V: +1 732 699 4611 | Bellcore 444 Hoes Lane, Rm. 1K-221
rfg@bellcore.com | F: +1 732 336 2828 | Piscataway, NJ 08854 USA