RE: A little social engineering

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any 'popular' alternatives to
DES that everyone could agree on being mandatory.

  - RC5 is patented by RSA and, I believe, is licensable
  - CAST-128 is patented by Entrust, but free and is relatively new
  - IDEA is patented by ETH and licensable from Ascom Systek

That leaves us with;

  - 3DES is slower than all of the above, but free
  - BlowFish is not that widely used and not that analyzed (Bruce
Schneir would disagree)

[ No slurs intended, since I'm definately not a cryptographer! ]