Re: What price security?

> To make this more relevant to ipsec, how, umm, "agile" is this 3DES?
>
> I think there are three relevant measurements:
>
>       - How much memory is required by the key schedules

2K data and about 4K code.

>       - How long does it take to set them up

About 5.2 uS on a 133MHz Pentium per key, providing code and local data
reside in cache. So less than 11 uS for 2-key 3DES.

>       - How well does it perform on short blocks (64 bytes to ~4k bytes),
>       if you have to change to a new key schedule after every block
>       (assume you're rotating among 10 to 100 different keys).

2-key 3DES including key set-up runs at 3.7 Mbit/s on a 133MHz Pentium.

Bart Preneel
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven                       tel. +32 16 32 11 48
Dept. Electrical Engineering-ESAT / COSIC            fax. +32 16 32 19 86
K. Mercierlaan 94, B-3001 Heverlee, BELGIUM

                           bart.preneel@esat.kuleuven.ac.be
                        http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~preneel