Re: SPI orthogonality

Derrell Piper writes:
> >The last time I asked this question, it was as a result of
> >inconsistencies between the IPsec and ISAKMP drafts.  The response was
> >that the IPsec draft was in error (and would be modified).  SA's are
> >indexed by SPI/Remote Address/Protocol triplets.
>
> That is correct.  FWIW though, I also know of several implementations that
> treat the SPI-space as a single namespace and I do not believe that there
> are any operational problems with doing so.  I defy an outside observer to
> determine whether this is or is not the case...
>
> Derrell

I'd guess that the problem lies in the fact that if my machine has a
single SPI-space, and a remote machine proposes AH and ESP SA's with the
same SPI (via SA management), I am unable to accept both of those SA's.
(Note that these will both be indexed by SPI/Remote Addr, and since
there is not a third index field, we will have a collision.)

It seems that this is just a touch on the undesirable side. :)

ben

Follow-Ups: References: