Re: SPI orthogonality

Ted,

The Architecture RFC (1825) was not clear on this point, and it might be
interpreted to accommodate both AH and ESP use in a single SA.  However, in
section 1.5 of the most recently published architecture I-D (November,
1996) Ran answers the question clearly  with the following text:

   "A single IPsec Security Association is a simplex (unidirectional)
   connection with which either AH or ESP (but not both) is employed.  If both
   AH and ESP protection is to be applied to a traffic stream, then two (or
   more) security associations are created to control processing of the
   traffic stream."

So, I have been working under the assumption that this was not an open
question and thus the SPI text was not ambiguous.

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: