on the nature of recent suggestions

> From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
> You continued, though belated, inputs to the document editing process are
> appreciated.

"Belated"?

I've posted previous suggestions to the mailing list.  I've sent you
private notes.  Almost none of them has actually shown up in a document.

I'm glad that these efforts are "appreciated", but a cynic might think,
based on your current draft output, that is a euphemism for "ignored".

I have seen several others contribute suggestions, both publically and
semi-privately.  I have reason to believe that there are more private
suggestions to which I am not privy.  I am not alone in my
dissatisfication with the current state of the drafts.

Worse, you have refused to add text that multiple folks have requested.
You have refused to incorporate the results of an explicit straw poll of
the WG conducted at the last meeting.

None of your documents have been posted to internet-drafts in 4 months.
Response to many other's suggestions in recent weeks have been answered
that "current versions" of the drafts address the problems.  Well,
obviously the commenters are not privy to these "current versions".
It's the drafts that are "belated"!

> However, gratituous assults on my competence with respect to
> network security are unsubstantiated, as well as unwarranted.

I am personally insulted that you have taken my carefully written and
annotated suggestions as a "gratuitous assult".  In the future, I ask
that you refrain from these comments.

You admitted in writing that you "don't understand".  I merely quoted
your own words.  Is that too personal?  Do people write documents, or
are they handed down from a diety on high?

Criticism of your use of obsolete and inapplicable terminology is not an
assault on your "competence with respect to network security", they are
a criticism of your writing.  That is indeed warranted, since it is the
writing for which you have taken responsibility.

Moreover, since in 15 years of DoD ARPAnet affiliation including a long
term on the Internet Activities Board, you did not manage to complete
any network security for the Internet, I have nothing other than your
recent writing on which to judge your competence.

I don't know how you became annointed editor of these drafts.  It was
done in a secret smoke filled room, and not publically discussed in this
Working Group.  But until you relinquish the role, you can expect us to
hold your feet to the fire.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com