SA semantics

I'm new to the list and to ipsec issues in general. I've read RFC's
1825-27 and the latest corresponding drafts, but I'm still a bit
confused when trying to walk through the steps a security gw would go
through in handling both inbound and outbound packets in terms of SA
establishment/lookup. It may be that I am confusing myself by trying to
think about manual/static configuration of SA's. In any event, is there
either a very clear written elucidation or an example implementation one
could study?

I know you folks are busy - just point me in the right direction if you
can, and I will put in the time...

Thanks,

Scott