Re: Re[2]: ISAKMP performance

Alex Alten wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 pcalhoun@usr.com wrote:
> >
> > >    Using hardware acceleration, a security server will only be able to
> > >    generate about 6 SAs/second (assume the DH exchange, the signing and
> > >    the verification). Now certainly it is possible to add more hardware,
> > >    but read below before we go on this thread.
> > >

> 6 key setups per second is too slow.  I believe about 1000/sec
> will be needed (in software).

Is your local service provider using a cray as his NAS? You're not gonna
see a D-H exchanges with any realistic prime plus a digital sign and verify
with any reasonably secure modulus in anything close to 1/1000 of a second!

	FAST, CHEAP, SECURE: pick any two.

And this has _nothing_ to do with ISAKMP either; any scheme which
authenticates a Diffie-Hellman with digital signatures-- like SKIP or
Photuris-- would have similar performance.

  Dan.

Follow-Ups: References: