Re: "Default" cipher and authenticator

--- On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 18:12:04 -0400  Rodney Thayer <rodney@sabletech.com> wrote:

> I didn't think we made SHA-1 part of the minimum default.  I thought it was
> just HMAC MD5.  I agree with the DES CBC Explicit IV.

In 1996, the IESG objected to having two mandatory-to-implement authentication
algorithms.  At that time, I thought the result was that HMAC MD5 was
mandatory-to-implement and standard while HMAC SHA-1 was optional-to-implement
and standard.

Things could easily be different now.  I'd be interested in hearing
a definitive answer on this question from the current co-chairs.

Ran
rja@inet.org