Re: Re[6]: ISAKMP performance

  Pat,

  Although the lifetime of a SA might be a year, generally if the user logs
off or the connection is dropped for whatever reason the SA is thrown away.
Since joe@bigcorp doesn't know which NAS he dials into he wouldn't know
which SA to use to talk to the NAS anyway (assuming he's also cacheing the
SAs for the various NASs too). You're only going to keep active SAs, so
if your box can support 1000 active connections that's 1000 SAs period.

  You're also just securing the NAS to LNS. joe@bigcorp's line to his NAS
is in the clear. There are certain gov't agencies (not necessarily US either:
imagine a Boeing executive in France these days) that I don't think have
figured out how to use a sniffer but they have decades of experience tapping
phone lines. If I was joe and my communications were sensitive enough to
require encryption I'd want my whole thing encrypted. It seems pointless to
leave in the clear the one point that would be easiest to attack. And since
IPSec provides tunneling capabilities already why not just use them?
(IMPORTANT NOTE: that's my opinion and not necessarily that of my employer).

  Also, there seems to be alot of concern about KM performance but if I
was joe@bigcorp in your example packets for my telnet as they traverse through
the ether would look like this if I'm not mistaken:

           IP | IPSec | UDP | L2TP | PPP | IP | TCP | <blah>

which is a heckuva lot of overhead (IMPORTANT NOTE: that's my opinion and
not necessarily that of my employer). I'd be pretty concerned about
1000 of those things too.
  If *I* was joe@bigcorp I wouldn't pay for BigDarnServiceProvider's secure
tunneling service-- I'd just use IPSec in tunnel mode from my laptop or SOHO
router or whatever. End-to-end security with less overhead.

  Dan.