Re: Auth algorithm measurement tools?

Joe Touch does have a good test harness, I recommend using it.

His comments about optimized byte ordering and cache effects should be
heeded.  My informal survey of test harnesses for crypto software a
few years ago revealed that results between any two harnesses were
almost always incomparable, and precious few were predictive of actual
performance (all errors on the side of optimism).

Byte access is the major limitation on speed; this led me to look for
a 64-bits-at-a-chunk algorithm that would run at memory speed on the
DEC Alpha.  What I ended up with was fast enough but very probably not
strong enough (sort of MD5-- or MD5-=5 :-) ).

Fast algorithms with more parallelism, perhaps using a tree structure,
might be possible with FPGA's in the future.

Hilarie