Re: Derived versus Explicit IV

Why?  No new number was demanded for the HMAC variants of AH and that's not
wire-compatible with 1827.  It was my understanding that it was considered
a *feature* that you couldn't tell what protocol it was by looking at the
protocol number.

Not that I liked that, but I was told that was what people wanted.

At 10:44 AM 7/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>If the new ESP plus new mandatory to implement transforms are *not*
>backwards compatible *ON THE WIRE*, then a new IP protocol value for ESP
>will be required.

Follow-Ups: References: