RE: Derived versus Explicit IV

Hmm..  Seemed to me like it was part of the working group discussion.  Also, I think
that the line "As co-chair of a protocol group" states pretty strongly that he was
speaking as chair.   You can reject my analysis.  That's your option.  However, I stand
by my analysis.  Why don't we let Bob be the definitive voice here.   Bob?

>There is no reason *not* to support backwards compatablity, given an easy
>option to do so. Compatability is *always* a good thing.

Simply because something is easy for you does not mean it is easy for me or
even the right thing to do.   I don't know of any of my customers asking for this.
I don't know if it worth supporting for me or my customer base. Currently, my
believe is that it isn't worth it.

>Frankly, I don't understand why this is even an issue, except for the fact
>that Bill Simpson raised it.

It is an issue because I haven't heard any compelling reason to support it. I don't
have any hard numbers on what implementations are in the field.  I have seen no
study on the impact of not supporting it.  I do not have it already and I don't have
any customers, that I know of, asking for it.   If I see some hard numbers other
than just guesses, I'll reconsider my opinion.  If I have customers asking for it,
I'll reconsider my opinion. This is all beside the fact the co-chair stated a very
strong opinion to obsolete it.

Bill Simpson has nothing to do with it.   I would have my opinion regardless of who
raised the point.   The suggestion is a bit silly.  Although his style may not be to some
peoples liking, he sometimes has good points, sometimes not.  Just like all the rest of
us.

I personally don't understand why this is an issue since we decided quite some time
ago.   In 10 years this working group will be fondly looked back upon as the "flogging
the dead horse" group.