Re: ISAKMP performance numbers

Pat,

  There is not necessarily a scaling issue.  You might have one in some
products, but that doesn't mean that other folks will --- different products,
different implementation approaches, etc.  As someone else said, one person's
scaling issue is another person's business opportunity.

  I still don't find your rate of claimed necessary new SAs/second to be
credible, because the assumptions that got you there aren't congruent with
the dialup numbers we see in the real world.  I'm open minded, but the data
in my hands just is not consistent with your assumptions.  Moreover,
other dialup vendors I work with don't necessarily agree with either your
assumptions or your conclusion that there is an intrinsic problem.

  All that said, the IPsec WG has a history of getting side-tracked by
side issues.  Right now, (IMKHO) I'd like to see the WG focus on getting the
current ESP/AH/ISAKMP/Oakley I-D set out as standards track RFCs.  If folks
want to focus on performance issues after the RFCs go out, that would be
A Fine Thing (IMHO).

Best wishes,

Ran
rja@inet.org