Re: Calling the question: derived vs. explicit IV

I was disappointed with the factual inaccuracies, misleading and
inconsistent statements in this co-chair's posting, and had
requested a correction.  But, none has been forthcoming.

I also take umbrage at the personal attack in the last paragraph.

I believe these inaccuracies poison the straw poll.

Rather than arguing, I present the following questions:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 14:27:20 -0400
> From: "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU>
>
>    Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 14:32:52 GMT
>    From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
>
>    In favor of Derived:
>
>     2) Maintains complete backward compatibility with RFCs 1829 and 1851.
>        All shipping implementations already support the derived IV.
>
> Not true.  It is not _complete_ backwards compatibility.  RFC 1829
> support's no IV, 32-bit IV, and 64-bit IV.  The compatibility you
> propose only works using RFC 1829-style 32-bit IV.

Please indicate the page and line in RFC-1829 which "support's" [sic]
"no IV"?

Please indicate which specific shipping vendor implementations of
RFC-1829 do not support 32-bit derived IV, instead supporting only some
other IV, preventing this from being _complete_ backward compatibility?

> In addition the handling of sequence number wrapping means that there is
> yet another compatibility issue.  This can be solved having the ESP
> engine know something about whether the key management was manually done
> or not.  However, that's an abstraction violation, and it certainly adds
> to the complexity of the implementation simply to have this
> "compatibility".

Please indicate where RFC-1829 supports "sequence number wrapping"?

Please indicate where "sequence number wrapping" is required to be
handled in draft-ipsec-ciph-des-derived?

Please indicate where "sequence number wrapping" is required to be
handled for manual keying in ESP?

BTW, there is a MUST in the Kent ESP draft that is in error, as there is
also no requirement for enforcement of anti-replay.  The draft is
self-inconsistent.  As has been noted several times on this list.

Of course, _all_ SPI managers need to know what key engine was used for
configuration.  Otherwise, it might try to trigger the automated engine
when it had been manually keyed -- resulting in a security breach -- for
DNS, DHCP, and other scenarios where the key must be manually
administrated to avoid the chicken-and-egg problem.  How _is_ your code
coming along?

>     3) Will reduce administrative and operational confusion.  A change to
>        explicit IV would "obsolete" thousands of fielded units, and create
>        a user support nightmare.
>
> No so.  The fielded units do not support key management.  The assumption
> which I'm making here is that manual keying will continue to use RFC
> 1829.

Are you saying that there will be two (or more) supported domains of
interpretation, one for manual keying and another for Oakley/ISAKMP?

Are you saying that it will be the official policy of the IETF that
RFC-1829 and its successors will advance to Internet Standard as the
method to use for manual keying?

> The new units that support key management will support explicit
> IV's; if they choose to support manual keying for compatibility with
> said "thousands of fielded units" (and the market will decide whether or
> not that's necessary), they can simply support RFC 1829.  It's not that
> much code to support both.

Are you saying that this "much code" does not add "to the complexity of
the implementation" (your objection above)?

How is this a consistent position?

>     4) Interoperable code will be more rapidly deployed.
>
> The vendors who participated in the ANX interoperability demo were using
> explicit IV's.

Were all ANX vendors using explicit IVs?

Were all ANX vendors interoperable with RFC-1829 manual keying?

How would such vendors "more rapidly" deploy interoperable code that is
not interoperable with currently fielded implementations?

(I was there, I happen to know the answers already.)

>     5) Any change to explicit must show GREATER cryptographic strength.
>
>        Derived has been show to give somewhat stronger protection of the
>        first block than explicit.  Estimates are from 2**7 to 2**16
>        depending on environment.
>
> Not true.  We will be using an MAC to protect the packets against other
> attacks; this means that your posited attack of being able to modify the
> first block is simply not an issue.

Is a MAC required or optional?

Is a MAC required in manual-keyed scenarios between two single user hosts?

Is a MAC required in manual-keyed scenarios between a single user host
and a multi-user host or firewall?

> As far as Bill's counting of noses of who is for and who is against,
> there are a number of in his lists for which I haven't seen a clear
> statement on this position, and a number of people who have stated a
> position which he neglected to put on his lists.  I am keeping track of
> messages sent both to the list and to me privately; however, I'd ask
> that folks send their preferences to the list, if at all possible.

You question my integrity?

I very carefully counted every message sent to the list in the previous
two months.

I did not count messages sent privately.  They do not count.

WSimpson@UMich.edu
BSimpson@MorningStar.com