Re: Directions for ESP and AH?

At 11:15 AM 8/6/97 -0700, Fred L. Templin wrote:

>  1) The IP Security Document Roadmap cites RFC 1825 as the reference for
>     the "Security Architecture for the Internet Protocol", but it refers
>     to two new documents (draft-ietf-ipsec-auth-header-01.txt and
>     *-esp-v2-00.txt) for the IP Authentication Header and IP Encapsulating
>     Security Payload (ESP), respectively. Is the intention that these two
>     new draft documents will eventually obsolete RFC's 1826 and 1827,
>     respectively, which already describe these protocols?

Back in Danvers, I believe, work started on obsoleting 1826 and 1827.  The
drafts you mention are very very close to what will be the new RFCs.
Additionally, the replacement for 1825 is draft-ietf-ipsec-arch-sec-01.txt,
posted to this list on Jul 30th.

>  2) If yes to the above, what sort of interoperability considerations are
>     being made for existing reference code (such as the NRL distribution)
>     which implement RFC 1826 and 1827?

This is part of the debate of implicit versus explicit IV for DES.  First
there ARE DOI #s for 1828 and 1829, the 'implementations' for 6 and 7.  So
an  old implementation that ONLY adds Oakley and no new transforms MAY be
able to interoperate with a new implementation that not only coded the new
transforms but also the old.

Note however, that many vendors have no plans to implement 1828 or 1829
with Oakley, leading to a migration away from the old transforms to the new.

>  3) Are there plans for the development of an "official IPsec reference
>     implementation" which will supercede earlier works such as NRL? If
>     so, who will be involved in this work?

No one has officially announced such a position.  I have heard some rumours
about some free code, but nothing that I can repeat.

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212

Follow-Ups: References: