Re: Corner-case question

Dan McDonald writes:
> > > If I have per-route policy, I have routing tables that look like:
> >             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ -- read "specific implementation"
>
> Ahhh, okay.  But I did say the same problem could occur otherwise.
> Anyway...
>
> > If you allow any machines outside your network to contact your
> > encrytping gateway without security, how can you claim to have any
> > security at all (much less total security)?
>
> Apart from the obvious bypass required for key mgmt., that encrypting
gateway
> *may* serve many purposes.  It may be the small company's web server, DNS
> server, anonymous FTP drop point, AND the encrypting firewall.  That machine
> can be contacted in the clear (i.e. as a host), but to get to anything ELSE
> on that net, I have to have the inbound packets be secured.  That's not
> unreasonable to expect.

Ahh... Sounds like you're beginning to do the work of a firewall, so I
have no problems in thinking that you will need to jump through some
extra hoops and/or have a little more bulky implementation.  Think of
the extra code as your firewall code... :)

> I also specifically said (and if I didn't, I apologize) that it's a
> single-address machine for my example, therefore it has ONE point of network
> attachment.  To have ONE point of attachment means I'd have to tell the
> router that goes to the outside that for my internal network all inbound
> packets go through my box.

Hmm... Again, this makes a bit more sense.  I'm used to the one
address/multiple interface paradigm that many routers support.  In that
case, where packets are forced to go through the box with no strange
routing, then you really have no problems.  But, if your interfaces need
to be one-to-one with IP addresses, then its a whole different question.

ben