Re:

Thayer" at Aug 19, 97 8:21 pm
Sender: owner-ipsec@portal.ex.tis.com

Is this for sure? then may be the consensus was reached after the
publication of the July ESP and AH drafts because both drafts
currently state:

        "Processing of the Sequence Number field is at the discretion
        of the receiver, i.e., the sender MUST always transmit this
        field, but the receiver need not act upont it ..."

Now, if the receiver MUST protect against replay attacks (e.g. the
ESP/AH drafts will be updated to state so?), then from an implementation
point of view, I think the receiver should perform some kind of adaptive
algorithm which dynamically adjust the window size as needed. For example,
if too many packets are discarded because they fall to the "left edge"
of the window, it will increase the window size.

In other words, the window size need not be a fixed value.

If the receiver MUST perform replay protection and takes corrective
measures as too many non-duplicate pkts get dropped, the sender need
not know the window size.

- Ly