Re: SKIP and NAT

--- On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:45:11 -0400  Wei Xu <wei@tis.com> wrote:

> >I wonder if this is a "feature" of IPSEC, or a "bug" in Sun SKIP.  It
> >was suggested that the SKIP implementation may intentionally rewrite IP
> >headers with protocol 0 as a way to ensure that a "bad" packet gets
> >discarded.  I will have to research this further.
>
> Looks to me. SKIP don't understand IP protocol 50 and 51 which is IPSec
> specific. During the translation SKIP puts protocol 0 to indicate
> un-recorganized IP packets.

Most versions of "SKIP the product" from Sun do not normally use
"SKIP the KM protocol proposal for ESP/AH" made by Sun to the IETF.
In particular, older versions of "SKIP the product" do not use or understand
IPsec ESP/AH at all.

Given the availability of real IPsec from multiple vendors (as was obvious
at Interop last May in LV), it isn't clear to me why anyone in the real world
would want to purchase/deploy any proprietary encryption scheme.  Certainly
I won't be doing so (We have IPsec in limited deployment now in a commercial
environment).

Since SKIP isn't IPsec, I suppose this note is off-topic so I'll probably
not comment further.

Ran
rja@inet.org