RE: Ordering of payloads

Hi Tero,

My understanding of Aggressive mode was that most of the problems you
describe are actually features of that particular mode.  It becomes
useful in situations where there doesn't need to be any 'real'
negotiation of ISKAMP SAs.  For example an IT person in a corporate
environment may find it desirable to have all the clients configured to
use one and only one ISAKMP SA type.  If they are only going to
negotiate this one type (say DES/MD5/Shared Secret) use aggressive and
speed up the connect time.

On the original subject...
I agree with Tero, given the fact you have to flip through the packet
for a sanity check anyways, you have an opportunity to figure out where
everything is.  Added on top of that the fact that the other payloads
can come in any order (but in a specific group sequence) there is no
added complexity in finding the SA payload and processing it in the
order you require.  ISAKMP also states that some optional payloads must
be accepted at any point in the exchange (not that I would ever stick
anything before the SA).

But specifying it must be first doesn't really bother me either :)

Bye
----
Greg Carter, Entrust Technologies
greg.carter@entrust.com
Get FREE 128-bit FIPS-140-1 Validated Crypto for the desktop
http://www.entrust.com/solo.htm