Re: Which comes first?

Michael,

 > >>Well, its not what any PF_KEYv2 person is implementing or has implemented
 > ..
 >
 > Actually it is what some of us "PF_KEYv2 people" have implemented.  The key
 > daemon will supply exactly what is asked for.  The kernel asks for 192 bits
 > of encryption key and 0 bits of authentication key and gets just that.  Of
 > course if the kernel wanted to ask for 64 bits for ESP and 128 for the HMAC
 > and KNEW  a priori that the key daemon understood the ESP transform in use
 > it could do so.
 >
 > Since the key daemon shouldn't have to know anything about the transform in
 > use the kernel can decide how to cut up the keying material and ask for all
 > the bits at once.  PF_KEY doesn't preclude this.

Fine.  I guess you can use PF_KEYv2 that way, if you wish.  Its a
question for another forum to work out PF_KEYv2 inter-vendor
portability or API issues, if thats ever appropriate as the work
developes.  (Personally I always interpreted "encrypt" or "auth" in
PF_KEYv2 to refer to the encryption algorithm or authentication
algorithms, not ESP vs. AH.)

Thanks for the tidbit, I shouldn't have presumed how different folks
made use of the PF_KEYv2 specification and should merely have said that
the PF_KEYv2 specification had separate delineation of authentication
vs. encryption keying material for passing down keying material.  And
its certainly possible that other non-PF_KEY implementations have only
that separation.

Given this, would you (or anyone) have any trouble with my last suggestion
on Karen's text:

 >          ...                    Or, if people really feel this must go
 > into ESP, the above text should be pre-qualified with a "those ESP
 > implementations receiving a single injection of keying material from
 > KM for both auth/encrypt services divide it up as follows."

   -- Marc --