Re: Wrap up for the IPsec drafts

At 09:59 AM 9/19/97 -0400, Ben Rogers wrote:

>I'm a bit concerned about even thinking about last call on a document
>(namely draft-ietf-ipsec-isakmp-oakley-05.txt) which is still in
>progress, and which has been rumored to contain a significant rewrite.

Well again I may be writing too fast, too much on my agenda.  I am doing
this in a meeting between my comments.

I tagged 3 drafts in this group, all of which have some issues.  These do
not have the last call deadline, but I wanted to get everyone to see them
in a group.  We need the new draft from S. Kent, there is a new
isakmp-oakley in the works (see below), and there has been enough
conversation on the DOI to warrent holding off on it for a few weeks.

As far as isakmp-oakley-05, my understanding is it will incorporate items
for oakley and revised-enc-mode.  These are not significant changes.

>I would also like to express concern about having the drop-dead date so
>close to the ANX bakeoff.  I have major comments on both the
>isakmp-oakley and the doi drafts, which I feel are no where near ready.

If a number of people feel that we will learn a lot more about these
drafts, I can slip a week for comments that will delay last call.
Remember, though, that last call is the move by the work group to get
everyone to give the docs a final read-over.  Of course comments will come
during the last call that may well result in document changes.  What I am
looking for is are there major debates needed on any of these that should
delay the last call discussions?

>However, I won't have the time until after I return from Ottowa to
>arrange and format these comments nicely in order to present them to the
>group.

These are welcomed even during last call.  I may repeat something our
previous co-chair, Ran, frequently stated:

Comments in the form of re-written sections are the most effective, as it
is clearer what the commenter means, and more likely to be made.

Robert Moskowitz
Chrysler Corporation
(810) 758-8212