RE: [Theodore Y. Ts'o: Re: Daemon Recovery]

> ----------

It is most important that unprivileged users don't have access to other
users' keying material -- on the above systems, which are single user,
that's still true.

Perhaps also worth noting is that with host-based keying, the identity
being trusted (in the absence of tamper-proof hardware) is the
administrator -- which in the case of the above operating systems, is
also the user. I.e, on those systems, nothing prevents the user from
moving the host's key to another host.

Finally, Windows NT does have a notion of unprivileged user (which I
mention solely because the reference to "Windows" above is potentially
ambiguous).

Paul