[Fwd: Re: Comments on ipsec-arch-sec-01.txt]

-- BEGIN included message

Here we go again... Once again, let me qualify this by saying that it is
not so much this particular post as it is the general issue raised here
that I am commenting on:

>   Requiring that the tunnel/transport-mode distinction be part of the SA
>    will break several existing implementations that my employer is using.
>    It also goes against the grain of not changing the specification in a way
>    that makes existing conforming implementations non-conforming.

The convenience of your employer *should not* be an issue here. How this
ever became a criteria for deciding if a change is appropriate (if in
fact it has) is beyond me. We are talking about the *world's*
communications system here; not just the one which will be used by
Cisco, BBN, USR, or <fill in the blank>. If it is inconvenient to make a
design change which corrects a flaw in the system, that is the price you
pay for leading the crowd - that is why we call it 'the bleeding edge'.

-- END included message