Re: IPsec Architecture -- proposed changes

At 12:21 PM 10/7/97 -0400, C. Harald Koch wrote:
>In message <199710071547.LAA03894@istari.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>, "Michael C. Richardson" writes:
>>
>>   Okay, which end decrements then?
>>   The far end is the one "forwarding" so it should do it.
>>   The near end can be thought to be forwarding as well.
>
>Agreed, they're *both* forwarding the packet; one into the tunnel, and one
>out of the tunnel. RFC 2003 specifies good behaviour TTL handling with IP in
>IP tunneling.

No!  If the de-encapsulator is the destination of the tunnelled packet
then he is not forwarding it and therefore should not be decrementing the
TTL.  Only if he would forward the packet on must he decrement the TTL.

--
Matt Thomas                    Internet:   matt.thomas@altavista-software.com
Internet Locksmith             WWW URL:    <coming eventually>

Follow-Ups: References: