Re: IPsec -- SPI ranges

In message <199710102055.QAA27279@dcl.MIT.EDU>, "Theodore Y. Ts'o" writes:

> 	Some of Bill Simpson's drafts did reserve the SPI ranges from
> 256-65535 for manual configuration, but none of his drafts which made
> such a claim were under formally consideration by the working group, and
> to my knowledge I haven't seen any request for this from the working
> group.  I've cc'ed this message to the ipsec mailing list.  If someone
> has a very good reason to want this speak up now.

I use the 256-65535 convention in my implementations. However, I don't see a
need to standardize this; "pick a number between 256 and 2^32 -1" has a small
probability of colliding with an existing manual SA. Given a collision, I'd
do the same as with weak keys; fail the SA and re-start the SA negotiation
(Phase 2 in the case of ISAKMP).

--
Harald

Follow-Ups: References: