Re: proposed changes to ISAKMP/Oakley

Steve,

  I disagree that the concept of a Proxy-ID is in any way unique
to ISAKMP/Oakley.

  The concept of a Proxy-ID is general enough to be widely useful,
IMHO.  I'd suggest it would be useful to define as an optional-to-
implement part of an IPsec Security Association with a clear standard
definition.  While not all KM techniques might support it, more than
one manual keying implementation supports the concept and many KM
techniques are capable of supporting the concept.  All PF_KEY
implementations should be supporting Proxy-IDs and PF_KEY is
independent of the KM protocol, for example.

  IMHO, omitting explicit definition of the Proxy-ID from the formal
definition of an IPsec SA is likely to lead to reduced security in
the operational Internet.  Including it is likely to enhance security
in the deployed operational Internet.

Regards,

Ran

Follow-Ups: References: