Re: draft of the ISAKMP/Oakley draft

Hi Dan,

I have two comments on your new draft.

1) A reference for the GSSAPI stuff is missing.

2) Last week I sent an e-mail to you and the list suggesting to add
 EC groups over GF(p) to the ISAKMP/Oakley draft. Up to now I
haven't received any comment. Perhaps I should clarify my point:
I believe that elliptic curves will be very important in the future
and I support the addition of elliptic curve groups as optional
D-H groups in the draft. However, I think that one should add
examples for both 'types' of these curves, i.e., curves over GF(2^N)
as well as curves over GF(p). GF(p) curves are more favourable in
the ISAKMP/Oakley context because they are easier to implement
since the necessary  mod p arithmetic must always be supported by
an ISAKMP/Oakley implementation.
For curves over GF(2^N) an additional GF(2^N) arithmetic must be
implemented. Furthermore, there are several patents covering
different aspects of GF(2^N) arithmetic.

I would appreciate a comment from you.

Michael

P.S. If you don't have examples for 'strong' curves over GF(p) we
can provide them.