Re: proposed changes to ISAKMP/Oakley

Michael Bungert writes:
> I suggest to add not only EC2N groups but also elliptic curve
> groups over GF[p] with an odd prime p because these curves seem
> to be more favourable: EC groups over GF[p] can easily be
> implemented by using only ordinary modular arithmetic originally
> developed for RSA for example. Furthermore in contrast to char 2,
> use of this type of curves seems to be widely free of patents.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm under the impression that EC
operations over GF(p) (for large prime p) are noticeably more
computationally expensive than the EC operations over fields of
characteristic 2, for fields offering comparable cryptographic strength.
This sacrifice in run-time efficiency should be considered in balance
with the cited advantages of operating mod p.

I'd be happy to see some EC groups defined over GF(p) for ISAKMP/Oakley,
but it's unclear to me thus far that using such groups is ultimately
more favorable.

-Lewis