Re: AH/ESP Last Call Results

At 01:18 AM 10/28/97 -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
[snip]
>RESOLVED
[snip]
>ESP Only
>--------
>2. Clarify how inbound processing of encryption "Padding" field is
>   handled. Change...
>
>      From: (3.4.5  Packet Decryption)
>	The receiver:
>        2. removes/ignores any padding

>	The receiver:
>        2. processes any padding as specified in the encryption
>	algorithm specification.  The default action is to remove/ignore
>	any padding.

While not a major issue, this is not quite consistent with the text in the
Padding definition in section 2.4, where it says:

   If Padding bytes are needed but the encryption algorithm does not
   specify the padding contents, then the following default processing
   MUST be used.  The Padding bytes are initialized with a series of
   (unsigned, 1-byte) integer values.  The first padding byte appended
   to the plaintext is numbered 1, with subsequent padding bytes making
   up a monotonically increasing sequence: 1, 2, 3, ...  When this
   padding scheme is employed, the receiver SHOULD inspect the Padding
   field.

The inconsistency has to do with the "SHOULD inspect" part; the
remove/ignore is not the default action. I'd suggest remove the "SHOULD
INSPECT" and replace with a default of remove/ignore.

Regards,
-Bob

Bob Monsour                                Hi/fn Inc.
rmonsour@hifn.com                          2105 Hamilton Avenue
408-558-8065                               Suite 230
408-558-8074 fax                           San Jose, CA  95125