Re: draft of the ISAKMP/Oakley draft

Michael.Bungert@mchp.siemens.de on 10/23/97 02:35:18 PM

> GF(p) curves are more favourable in the ISAKMP/Oakley context because
> they are easier to implement since the necessary  mod p arithmetic must
> always be supported by an ISAKMP/Oakley implementation.
>
> For curves over GF(2^^N) an additional GF(2^^N) arithmetic must be
> implemented. Furthermore, there are several patents covering
> different aspects of GF(2^^N) arithmetic.
>
> I would appreciate a comment from you.
>
> Michael

     Elliptic Curve Cryptography should be given every consideration by
     the IETF.  It is the technology that will provide long term Security
     under all application environments over the INTERNET.  The need for
     Elliptic Curve Cryptography will become more important as more
elements
     of the INTERNET and Intranets go Wireless.

     Both implementations over GF(p) and GF(2^^N) should be considered from
     efficiency point of view,  there are very efficient Implementations
     over GF(2^^N) in both hardware and software.  The availability of
     mod p arithmetic for implementation is not a convincing argument to
     drop GF(2^^N) and only propose GF(p).  As was mentiond in Eurocrypt
     GF(2^^N) can be implemented using mod p too.

     As for the patents issues, it is imprtant to note that any existing
     or pending patents in GF(2^^N) or GF(p) are on Implementation only
     and not over the Mathematical Concepts.  The mathematics is free there

     for any body who wants to implement.  There are FREE Implementations
     as well as Commercial ones.  The Patent issues should be undertood
     in this context.

     I believe the issues of patents over ECC should not be viewed as
     the issue of  Patents in Legacy Algorithms like DH(now free) and RSA,
     in the Legacy Systems the Mathematical Concepts where patented and
     Royalties will be claimed when ever and implementaion is done while
     in ECC the case is VERY different.

     Regards

     Adel Jaber/Certicom
     WWW.CERTICOM.COM