Re: ISAKMP gateway function

This question from Michael Giniger touches on one of the things that I
have never understood about the IPSEC security architecture.  It seems
that 68-80% of the attacks for which encryption would provide some
protection are on the local network.  The classic example of course, is
sniffing a password on LAN #1, for a machine on LAN #2, while the machine
on LAN #2 is being accessed by a user on LAN #1. Imagine that you are
operating LAN #2, that your are required to allow access from other LANs,
and that you have know of way of enforcing end-to-end encryption on the
other LANs.  Is there something in the current IPSEC documents that
answers this?

Regards,
Mitch Nelson