Re: don't-fragment-flag on ftp & icmp

> My IPSec implementation sits on an Ethernet LAN which has a max PDU size
> of 1500. I've noticed that ftp builds IP packets at this max size and
> then sends them with the don't-fragment-flag set to 1. Encryption
> obviously adds bytes to the packet so how can I encrypt this without
> fragmenting it? Are we supposed to ignore the flag & fragment anyway?

Well, this depends a lot on your implementation.

It sounds like you have a "bump in the stack" implementation, where you
aren't otherwise tied into the IP implementation on your system.

A fix for the problem you have is to somehow convince your IP that its on a
differently-sized device, with a frame size of 1500 - sizeof (IPsec
overhead).

If I'm wrong about your implementation, and you are embedded with your IP
code, you should be making fragmentation decisions only AFTER you apply
IPsec.

Dan