Re: parties ID handling under ISAKMP-OAKLEY

Thank you, Sumit, for the feedback.
At least I got awareness that I do understand
IPsec documents the same way as somebody else ;-)

I should rephrase some of my topics.

1. Although it's clear that IDci and IDcr are to identify
   parties, the DOI does not clarify whether the proto
   and port fields of _IDci_ (initiator) do
   correspond to the initiator or responder values.
   If one will send in IDci proto=TCP, port=21 does
   it means that the _initiator_ will sent data on
   the _responder_ TCP 21 port.
   If yes, the DOI should clarify
   that case, because _initiator_ ID includes the port
   actually associated with the _responder_ service.
   If DOI assumes other, I don't see the way how client
   can request particular remote service under current DOI.

2. When doing host-to-host negotiations
   (on behalf of each ISAKMP peer!), and
   if IDs are not present, there is no way to select
   the scope for a SA other but all traffic between two
   hosts. Right? If yes, the fine-grained IPsec implementation
   must always use Quick mode at the full context.
   It should be noted in the current version of ISAKMP-OAKLEY.

6. The ID payload type allows select either
   party IP_address or key_ID, but not both.
   That means with using preloaded shared keys
   (where key_id is required for a negotiation)
   there is no way for a gateway employ different
   local keys for different protected systems
   resided behind it. The same can be applied for
   multiple local certificates of a gateway, since
   documents say that 'Cert' payload (if included in
   a SA negotiation) must be the one identified by
   the 'ID' payload. It seems impossible to say
   for a responder:'I request a SA originated from
   that IP address using that long-term keying material'.

---
Alexei V. Vopilov (alx@elnet.msk.ru),  +7(095)5367694
Software Architecture&Development Consultant.
---