From: John Ioannidis <ji@research.att.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:55:53 -0500 (EST)
To: tytso@MIT.EDU
Subject: results from last night's document reading

Here are the comments my group (ESP) came up with.

Marc Hasson
Richard Briggs
Inder Monga
John Ioannidis

draft-ietf-ipsec-

	arch-sec-02.txt

====================
In -ciph-des-expiv-01, section 4 reads

   [ESP] describes the general mechanism to derive keying material for
   the ESP transform. The derivation of the key from some amount of
   keying material does not differ between the manually- and
   automatically-keyed security associations.

The description is NOT in the [ESP] document, but in the architecture
document, in section 4.6.2. The reference should be changed to [arch].

====================

In auth-hmac-md5-96-01.txt, section 3., the same problem exists:
change:

   [ESP] describes the general mechanism to obtain keying material for
   the ESP transform. The derivation of the key from some amount of
   keying material does not differ between the manual and automatic key
   management mechanisms.

to [arch]...

====================

In -ciph-cbc-01.doc, section 3.2, reads:

3.2 Keying Material

   The minimum number of bits sent from the key exchange protocol to
   this ESP algorithm must be greater or equal to the key size.

   The cipher's encryption and decryption key is taken from the first
   <x> bits of the keying material, where <x> represents the required
   key size.

This section should reference section 4.6.2 in the [arch] document.

====================

-esp-v2-02.txt, section 3.1, reads:

   Support for additional combinations of AH and ESP is optional.  Use
   of other, optional combinations may adversely affect
   interoperability.

but the architecture document, section 4.5, reads:

   the implementor.  Compliant implementations MUST be capable of
   generating these four combinations and on receipt, of processing
   them, but SHOULD be able to receive and process any combination.  The
   diagrams and text below describe the basic cases.

these two sections are not exactly consistent; we suggest
-esp-v2-02.txt be fixed.

The exact same problem exists in the -auth-header-03.txt document.

====================

Tunnel mode, issue #1:

Nowhere in the documents is it mentioned what protocol should be used
in the next header field for tunnel mode. Traditionally, it has been
protocol 4 (IP-in-IP), which is not really documented anywhere, but
simply involves encapsulating an entire IP datagram. We think this
should be made explicit in the architecture document, probably where
tunnel mode is discussed in section 5.1.2.1 in the architecture
document (it is implicitely assumed by a reference to rfc2003).

Tunnel mode, issue #2:

This goes beyond IPSEC, really; the question is what happens when we
want to tunnel an IPv6 datagram inside IPv4 IPSEC; The headers would
go like this:

[ipv4, next_header=50   [ESP, next_header=xxx   [IPv6 datagram]]]

If we were tunneling an IPv4 datagram, xxx would be 4; if we tunnel
IPv6, do we use 4 again, and rely on the version field of the IPv6
header to correctly interpret the inner datagram as IPv6? Or do we use
the (  ), much like we have separate ether-types and ppp types for
IPv6 (so as not to rely on implementations checking the protocol
version)?

In -esp-v2-03.txt, section 3.4.1

   packet offered to ESP for processing appears to be an IP fragment,
   i.e., the OFFSET field is non-zero or the MORE FRAGMENTS flag is set,

this is confusing; it seems to imply that a packet may be sent which
causes this to happen. After discussing it with Steve Kent, it turns
out that it is a "belt-and-suspenders" point; a well-functioning IP
stack should never pass a fragment up to ESP, but in case it happens,
ESP should be prepared for it and discard the packet.