Date: Sat, 20 Dec 97 05:56:12 GMT Standard Time
From: Ran Atkinson  <rja@inet.org>
Subject: Re: Results of the IPSEC document reading party
To: "Theodore Y. Ts'o"  <tytso@MIT.EDU>

Ted,

Regarding "Tunnel Mode" issues:

IPv6 has its own protocol number assigned by IANA (41).
That (41) is the number that should be in the Next-Header field
when IPv6 has been encapsulated inside tunnel-mode IPsec.
The note to the list seemed confused on this, but all known
IPsec+IPv6 implementations do as I indicate above.

When IPv4 is encapsulated inside tunnel-mode IPsec, then
the Next-Header should have (4) which is the protocol
number for IP-in-IP.  Again, to the best of my knowledge
this is how all extant IPv4+IPsec implementations work.

Folks wishing to tunnel Ethernet frames within IPsec might
wish to consider using a Next-Header of 97, which has
been assigned as Ethernet-in-IP by IANA.

Note also that Protocol number 0 has in fact been assigned
by IANA to the "IPv6 Hop-by-Hop Option" and hence ought
not be used by an IPsec implementation for some other
(hence non-interoperable) purpose.  Some folks have mumbled
about using Protocol number 0 for magic purposes, hence
my concern.

Thanks,

Ran
rja@home.net